Wednesday 10 July 2013

Summer Series #2: Nafiza @ Bibliophilic Monologues

[What is the Summer Series? Read them all from the start.]

She's one of the smartest, most well-read people you'll meet, and she runs a damn fine book blog at Bibliophilic Monologues. Please welcome my dear friend Nafiza, who's here to recommend Big Bad Bunny by Franny Billingsley, illustr. by G. Brian Karas, to you today!

***
Big Bad Bunny by Franny Billingsley, illustr. by G. Brian Karas
Atheneum, February 19 2008
picture book anthropomorphism
"After taking a class that went into quite a lot of detail about picturebooks in the last thirty years, I became interested in how what seems like a simple book is quite complex and sophisticated. My attempts to write one in a writing for children class further brought home the fact that all evidence to the contrary, writing picturebooks is difficult! This is precisely why I love Big Bad Bunny written by Franny Billingsley and illustrated by G. Brian Karas. I had read Billingsley's YA offering and loved it so when I saw the picture book, it piqued my curiousity and I picked it up.
And it impressed the heck out of me. For a novel aimed at very young children, the picturebook is smart, sophisticated and contains a twist I didn't see coming. The illustrations are beautiful and the typography just perfect. All elements combine to make a wonderful reading experience that can be repeated once and again. So if you have a child in your life, heck, even if you don't, pick this one up and give it a try. I guarantee a chuckle and an aww."
***
Firstly, picture books FTW! Secondly, the fact that this author can write both a picture book and a YA novel (you've heard of Chime?), and get a ringing endorsement from Nafiza? I'm actually embarrassed I haven't heard of this one before, but it's definitely on the TBR pile now. Let us know—will you be reading this?